AllentownSchool District

What You Need to Know About ASD

For a print version of the information below, click here: (English) (Spanish)

How to contact the schools and Administration building

For the current listing of contact numbers, click here.


Allentown School District seeks to ensure that all eligible children within the city are enrolled. Students are encouraged to learn and parents are invited to participate in the education process. Enrollment packets are available at any of the district’s schools, or here.

You will need to have the following information at the time of enrollment:

  • Proof of Birth
  • Proof of Residency
  • Affirmation of Prior Discipline Record
  • Proof of Immunizations with dates

The School Day

2014-2015 Bell Schedule

Elementary 8:45 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.

Middle Schools 7:50 a.m. – 2:35 p.m.

High Schools "A" Schedule 7:30 a.m. – 1:51 p.m.

High Schools "B" Schedule" 8:19 a.m. - 2:40 p.m.

School Arrival

Students must report to their Homeroom no later than the start time for their school. If students arrive after that time, they must report to the assigned area designated by their school.

Early Dismissal

If you must pick up your child early for an appointment, please write a note for your child to bring to the Main Office first thing in the morning. If you are not able to send in a note, please call prior to coming to the school. This will allow the process of picking up your child to be quicker and does not interrupt the class.

School Delays or Cancellations

When school are closed due to inclement weather:

  • If we have your updated phone number, you will receive a call indicating if school is cancelled, starting late or dismissing early.
  • You may also check on channel 69, the ASD website, the ASD Twitter, or local radio station B104.

Attendance – It’s the law

What should I do when my child is absent from school?

  • Notify your child’s school, by telephone, each day your child is absent.
  • Send a written excuse within 3 days of his/her return to school.

If you do not:

  • The absence(s) will be considered illegal.
  • After 3 illegal absences, a First Notice letter will be issued with an invitation for a conference at the school.
  • Any illegal absence after the First Notice letter will result in a citation with the district magistrate.
  • Truancy citations may result in fines, incarceration, referral to Children & Youth Services, and/or sanctions by Lehigh County Assistance Office.

If you need help, please contact your child’s school.

School Meals Information, click here.

For more information contact the Child Nutrition Services Office:

Phone: 484-765-4710 Fax: 610-820-2368

Electronic Device Policy

*Electronic devices include pagers, beepers, cell phones, Bluetooth-type devices, portable media players such as iPod, Walkman, CD players and iPhones, cameras.

All electronic devices must be:

  • Turned off upon entering any school building and remain off until students leave the school building.
  • Stored during school hours within students' assigned lockers or other areas designated by school administrators.
  • Any student refusing to turn in an electronic device will face disciplinary consequences for insubordination.
  • All electronic devices must remain off during a school evacuation or drill.

Middle School and High School Questions

What are High School Dual Enrollment and AP Courses?

Offering students the Collegiate Program Experience through Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement courses will prepare them for additional higher education after graduation from high school.

  • The Dual Enrollment program is focused on providing a collegiate experience for highly motivated and achieving students. The Dual Enrollment courses are made available by Lehigh Carbon Community College (LCCC) and paid for by the ASD. Students participating in this type of coursework will have an excellent head start on college readiness and could potentially earn up to a General Studies Associate’s Degree (60-61 credits) through LCCC by the end of their high school experience.
  • The Advanced Placement Program (AP), administered by The College Board, offers college-level courses that are taught at local high schools by those high school teachers. The ASD offers 19 Advanced Placement courses to its students. The AP program allows students to experience postsecondary coursework and its increased academic rigor while still in enrolled in the supportive environment of their local high school.

For more information contact your child’s guidance counselor.

Do Students Need Working Papers?

Any student under the age of 18 must get working papers to hold a job.

Types of Working Papers:

  • Vacation Working Papers are for students ages 14 and 15. These papers are only good for one employer and once they leave that employer, they must come back and re-apply for working papers again.
  • Transferable Vacation Working Papers are for students ages 16 and 17. These papers are transferable, which means they are good for any employer the student may go to after the age of 16.
  • General Working Papers are for students that are 16 and plan to dis-enroll from school so that they can work a full time job. These students must have a parent or guardian dis-enroll them and they must find employment for 35-40 hours a week.

How to obtain working papers:

  • The student may obtain an application for working papers from their school guidance counselor or directly from the office of Working Papers at the Administration Building.
  • No students may be present to obtain their papers or application during school hours at the Administration Building. Students are not permitted to leave the school just to obtain papers.

Parent Questions

Can I View My Child’s Records?

Parents have the right to review the educational and health records of their child. If you would like to request to view your child’s records, please do the following:

Submit a written request to your child’s principal requesting access to your child’s records.

  • If you would like a school official to review the records with you, please make that request in the letter.
  • If you are unable to get to the school, copies may be provided.
  • Schools may charge for copies of the records.
  • Schools have 45 calendar days to comply with a parent’s request to view records.

For more information on parents’ rights visit the Education Law Center’s.

How Do I Volunteer at My Child’s School?

Contact your child’s school for volunteer opportunities and visit the Volunteer page for clearance information. 

How Do I Schedule a Meeting with My Child’s Teacher or Principal?

  • Call the main office at your child’s school.
  • Request a meeting by giving the name of the person with whom you would like to meet AND the reason for the meeting.
  • Be sure to leave a phone number where you can be reached.
  • Someone will return your call with meeting time.